Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Vikings.
Subscribe to Vikings Journal Email

The Store

Cassel named starter for Saturday vs. Chiefs...

matt cassel teddy bridgewater
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aj Mansour

Aj Mansour

53 Man Roster

• Administrators
  • 315 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

Zimmer named Matt Cassel the starter for Saturday's third preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs. He did however say that Bridgewater could still get some reps with the first team offense.

Are you a fan of this decision?

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

Yes, I think it's the right call. While Teddy's game two performance was impressive, Cassel hasn't done anything in the first two games to warrant not starting.

#3 SilentSolja

SilentSolja

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

Absolutely this is the right call. Cassel has shown poise, leadership, and a veteran presence so far. He's effectively led the offense in two preseason games. I've no doubt that Teddy Bridgewater will be a better NFL QB than Matt Cassel - but let's let him sit and watch for a little bit. There's no harm in sitting Bridgewater right away, but you wouldn't want to throw him to the dogs too early.  This is a different conversation if Cassel was struggling, but he isn't.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

While this isn't a lost season for the Vikings, starting Bridgewater seems a bit like the tail wagging the dog, letting excitement influence important decision-making that could impact the team for years.

1. I don't see the team playing markedly better with Bridgewater under center and they could be decisively worse.

2. I've always been a fan of letting the game come to a young quarterback. Sitting Bridgewater for the first handful of games and then re-evaluating the position seems like the prudent decision at this point.

3. Cassel isn't going to light up the field but he wasn't awful last season.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

53 Man Roster

• Administrators
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

Yup, easy choice, but it is great to hear that Bridgewater will get reps with the first team offense. That's important to see how he handles that, but equally important, how he performs against the other team's first defense. 

#6 kasu327

kasu327

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

They know what they need to know with Cassel. He should get a couple drives in the first quarter and then be done. They need to give Bridgewater reps with the first team, and more importantly against the other team's first team defense to see where he really is at. 

It was great to see Bridgewater look impressive in the last game and have an awesome game winning drive, but it was against a second and third string (or worse) defense and the competition there is about the equivalent of a mediocre college team. Undrafted free agents with three weeks of practice and a limited playbook should not be tough for Teddy to march against. 

#7 Bo Mitchell

Bo Mitchell

First String

• Administrators
  • 523 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

No-brainer. Cassel will open the season as the starter so he should start the Game 3 dress rehearsal.

#8 The Greatest Poster Alive

The Greatest Poster Alive

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

It's a conservative move for a franchise that needs bold ones.  The Vikings ceiling with Cassel at the helm is a playoff birth, probably wild-card at best.  

I'd rather roll with Bridgewater to start, and find out what we have in the kid.  

I like Cassel as a backup, but he doesn't take this team very far.  IMO Cassel starting is a signal that this team is ok with this being another season of mediocre at best.  

#9 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Practice Squad

• Vikings Mods
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

While this isn't a lost season for the Vikings, starting Bridgewater seems a bit like the tail wagging the dog, letting excitement influence important decision-making that could impact the team for years.

1. I don't see the team playing markedly better with Bridgewater under center and they could be decisively worse.

2. I've always been a fan of letting the game come to a young quarterback. Sitting Bridgewater for the first handful of games and then re-evaluating the position seems like the prudent decision at this point.

3. Cassel isn't going to light up the field but he wasn't awful last season.

Pretty much this. I know it's not popular anymore, but I do think there's value letting a young QB sit for a year behind someone else. Aaron Rogers was a good example of how that can work. I do think, however, that in that situation, the kid gets as much garbage time as you can give him. That is the point in developing a young QB.

I should also note, that for all the gnashing of teeth regarding a QB, Cassel wasn't that bad, and the Vikings offense was pretty middle of the road ranking 13th overall in yards and 14th (tie) for total points. The defense on the other hand, 31st in yards, and last in points.

If there's a reason for hope, Munnerlyn, Joseph, and Barr should provide plenty.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: matt cassel, teddy bridgewater