Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Vikings.
Subscribe to Vikings Journal Email

The Store

Favorite ex-Viking

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

So I thought this might be a fun idea for a talker. Who is your favorite ex-Viking player? It doesn't have to be someone who left this past off-season, although it can, but it could be anyone who has played here at any point in their career and is still active on a roster somewhere.

My personal favorite two former Vikings are one who will probably play a substantial role this year, albeit for a rival, in Jared Allen. The other is someone who probably won't even see the field this year in McLeod Bethel-Thompson (how can you not love that name?)

So, who are your favorites exes?

***side note to the administrators, I have an idea, not sure what you or other members of our community think about this, but what about doing an Adopt-A-Former-Viking? We can select and keep tabs on one former Viking throughout the season, similar to the Adopt-A-Prospect on. Twins Daily. Thoughts?

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

That could be fun... Though we'd need someone to organize and monitor the forum and I don't have the time right now. Any takers?

#3 Bo Mitchell

Bo Mitchell

First String

• Administrators
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

Good idea, Jeff!

I'm going to have to go with Alan Page.

Runners up: Chuck Foreman, Joey Browner, John Randle, Matt Blair... I'll stop now.

#4 The Greatest Poster Alive

The Greatest Poster Alive

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

All-Time.  Randy Moss.  

recent:  Joe Webb.  His presence on the roster produced so many great Vikings fan-line calls for him to start.  He'll always be remembered fondly for that.  

#5 Gernzy

Gernzy

Rookie

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:55 AM

All Time: Robert Smith

Current: This is tough since a lot of the players I like that left were not on the greatest terms. It was Matt Birk until he retired. I'll go with Toby Gerhart.

I bent my wookie...

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

53 Man Roster

• Administrators
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

#FreeToby!!!

I loved seeing Anthony Carter catch slant passes from the quarterback and just race up the seem.

Gotta like The Sauce, Jim Kleinsasser.

#7 DocBauer

DocBauer

Rookie

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

All Time: Robert Smith

Current: This is tough since a lot of the players I like that left were not on the greatest terms. It was Matt Birk until he retired. I'll go with Toby Gerhart.

You stole my thunder! Lol

Sooooo many favorite players I could list, and many of them listed here already.

But I like and respect Smith not only for the incredible things he did on the field, but for his class and intelligence. And while he had some real life left in his legs, I completely respect his leaving the game when he did, why he did, and how he did it.

#8 Bo Mitchell

Bo Mitchell

First String

• Administrators
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

Good idea, Jeff!

I'm going to have to go with Alan Page.

Runners up: Chuck Foreman, Joey Browner, John Randle, Matt Blair... I'll stop now.

Adding Keith Millard to the list. You said favorite 20 Vikings of all-time, right?

#9 Joe Oberle

Joe Oberle

First String

• Administrators
  • 572 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

Karl Kassulke.

Our neighbors moved from Mankato to the Twin Cities right next door to him, and we went were visiting them and Karl came out and met my brother and I. I was about seven or eight at the time and nervous and shook hands with him left-handed (as I am a southpaw), which he got a kick out of. The next summer, I approached him at training camp and reminded him of the meeting and he let out his trademark laugh. The next day I was riding away from practice on my bike and felt two big purple arms grab me behind and lift me off my bike, with the laugh, again. All the other kids nearby looked at me and wondered who I was to get this kind of attention from a player. I felt 10 feet tall.

Years later, I was at the Metrodome and saw that he was in his wheel chair sitting a few rows ahead of me. So at halftime I went down and reintroduced myself, shaking with the right hand this time. I am not sure he did, but he made me feel like he remembered me, and we had a nice conversation about the Vikings. Hell of a guy.

Oh, and a really good safety, as well. He was awesome on the safety blitz.

#10 Fran Forever

Fran Forever

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

Fran Tarkenton!

#11 Randy_M

Randy_M

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

Chuck Foreman gets my vote,

#12 Willihammer

Willihammer

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

Say what you will, I have only fond memories of the years this man was in charge.

Attached Thumbnails

• DennisGreen1.jpg