Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Vikings.
Subscribe to Vikings Journal Email

*Projected* 53 Man Roster and Practice Squad

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Danchat

Danchat

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

Here's my attempt at a 53 man roster. I'll explain my reasoning after every position.

QB (in order of hypothetical depth chart)
Matt Cassel

Teddy Bridgewater

Chrisitan Ponder

The first two are locked, nothing to talk about there. However, many people have been talking about Ponder being cut. The Vikings most likely won't be cutting him because they owe him a guaranteed $1.8M. However, if they could egineer a trade, I think Ponder will be gone. We'd probably only get a 6th rounder for him, but he has little to no value for us. If he is traded, I would like the Vikes to sign a 3rd stringer. I think we should carry 3, not 2 QBs.

HB
Adrian Peterson

Matt Asiata

Jerick McKinnon

I actually want Joe Banyard to make the team, but the coaching staff seems to have a thing for Asiata. McKinnon will eventually take over Asiata, but Matt did have a 100 yard game last season (albeit against a Lions defense that gave up already).

FB

Jerome Felton

I've been hearing rumors that Felton's spot isn't guaranteed, so I'll predict that this is his last season with the team. He's a great blocker but he goes unnoticed sometimes. Zach Line isn't good enough to make the team.

WR
Greg Jennings

Cordarrelle Patterson

Jerome Simpson

Jarius Wright

Adam Thielen

Rodney Smith

(This is assuming Simpson will be suspended for 3 games) The first four spots are locks. I am hoping that Jarius will have a breakout season and get more snaps. Thielen also seems like a lock as he can play WR, special teams, and can return punts. Rodney Smith was on the roster last season and has some potential, as we saw in the 2nd preseason game. If the Vikings see a WR on the waiver wire they'd like (perhaps a player like Redskins Leonard Hankerson), maybe they'll take him and cut Smith.

TE
Kyle Rudolph

Rhett Ellison

Allen Reisner

This is assuming that Ford will be placed on the PUP. Ellison is a solid blocker and hasn't had a ton of competition. I've always liked Reisner and I was mad when the Jaguars got him last season, but he's back and has a shot. Veteran Michael Higgins is really close, too. Chase Ford might take Reisner's spot midseason.

OL
Matt Kalil

Charlie Johnson

John Sullivan

Brandon Fusco

Phil Loadholt

Joe Berger

David Yankey

Waiver Claim swing tackle

What's that final spot, you ask? I believe the Vikings will do the same thing we did last season. Last year we claimed T J'Marcus Webb and made him our backup tackle, sometimes called swing tackle. Antonio Richardson has some talent but also has injury problems (that's why he went undrafted) and shouldn't be trusted as the only backup tackle on the team. Some guys who might be cut could be former 1st round busts Gabe Carimi and Derek Sherrod and veterans like Eric Winston or Bruce Campbell.

DL
Everson Griffen

Brian Robison

Corey Wootton

Scott Crichton

Sharrif Floyd

Lindval Joesph

Fred Evans

Shamar Stephen

This probably matches most other 53 man roster predictions, except that last pick. I think that Stephen is a better option than Tom Johnson. Johnson is 30 and though he may be more reliable, Stephen will get better in the future. I might be wrong but we'll see how things unfold.

LB
Chad Greenway

Audie Cole

Anthony Barr

Michael Mauti

Jasper Brinkley

Larry Dean

Gerald Hodges

I am hoping that Audie Cole will win the starting spot at MLB, but Jasper Brinkley might be better in this new scheme than in years past. Dean is a special teamer who gets the nod over rookie Brandon Watts. Barr will start and get around 6 sacks, and then next year he'll hit somewhere in the vicinity of 14 sacks.

CB

Captain Munnerlyn

Xavier Rhodes

Derek Cox

Marcus Sherels

Jabari Price

Waiver Claim

Wow, I sure like to talk about waiver claims, huh? The Vikings are short on CBs and I think a guy on another team would be better than Shaun Prater or Josh Robinson. Whoa, cutting Robinson? Really? Coach Zimmer has said some things about Robinson saying "you can't make the club in the tub" and his combined incompetence and injury woes will lose him a roster spot. 6th round rookie Kendall James has shown nothing special and has a .01% chance of making the roster. 7th round rookie Jabari Price showed much more promise in training camp and earns his spot. Derek Cox will have to be the 3rd outside CB and who knows if he will bomb like last year.

S
Harrison Smith

Robert Blanton

Chris Crocker

Jamarca Sanford

Andrew Sendejo

Kurt Coleman

The safety position has been one of the biggest mysteries in camp. I seriously have no clue who will win it, but I think these 6 will make the team. Kurt Coleman will be the first to be cut. Sanford and Sendejo are decent options who are both at the end of their deals but should make the team. Crocker is old but Zimmer likes him. Blanton might get the starting job back, depending on if he can stay healthy and play well in the last two preseason games. Mistral Raymond needs to go. I want Antone Exum to make the team, but there is no room.

ST
K Blair Walsh

P Jeff Locke

LS Cullen Loeffler

There's no debate to be had here.

Practice Squad

(FYI: The NFL is expecting to expand to a 10 man practice squad this year.)

HB Joe Banyard

FB Zach Line

WR Kain Colter/WR Rodney Smith (after Simpson's return)

T Kevin Murphy

T Antonio Richardson

DE Justin Trattou

OLB Brandon Watts

FS Brandan Bishop

S Antone Exum

TE Signed after 53 man rosters are set

Not much to comment about here.

So, feel free to comment about my picks! How accurate do you think I was?

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

Ok I will give this a try..

Offense___
QB1 Cassel
QB2 Bridgewater
QB3 Ponder

RB1 Peterson
RB2 McKinnon
RB3 Asiata

FB1 Felton

TE1 Rudolph
TE2 Ellison
TE3 F/A from final cuts
***** Chase Ford on roster once off the PUP

WR1 Jennings
WR2 Patterson
WR3 Wright
WR4 Thielen
WR5 Smith
***** Jerome Simpson on roster once off suspension

LT1 Kalil
LG1 Johnson
C1 Sullivan
RG1 Fusco
RT Loadholt
C2 Berger
G2 Yankey
OT2 Richardson
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> offense total is 23 players

Special Teams___
K1 Walsh
P1 Locke
LS1 Loeffler
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> special teams total is 3

Defense___
LE1 Griffen
DT1 Floyd
NT1 Joseph
RE1 Robison
DE2 Wooton
DE3 Crichton
DT2 Evans
DT3 Johnson
NT2 Stephen

WLB1 Greenway
MLB1 Cole
SLB1 Barr
MLB2 Brinkley
LB2 Mauti
LB2 Hodges
LB3 Dean

CB1 Rhodes
CB1 Munnerlyn
CB2 Robinson
CB2 Sherels
CB3 Prater
CB3 Price

SS1 Smith
FS1 Blanton
SS2 Sendejo
FS2 Crocker
SS3 Sanford
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> defense total is 27

..and that gives us a grand total of 53!

Practice Squad:
1. S Exum
2. CB James
3. LB Watt
4. DE Trattou
5. FB Line
6. WR Colter
7. DT Faciani
8. RB Williams
9. OG Baca
10. OT Remmers

Spots 7-10 could be spots used on other PS eligible players from other teams

#3 Danchat

Danchat

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

Nice list! I think there's a chance the Vikes could go with a 9 man DL with both Johnson and Stephen.

Also, I'm not sure if Jeff Baca is eligible for the practice squad.

Actually, I just found out that I'm wrong. The PS eligibility rules have been changed. If anyone is interested, here's the changes: http://www.silverand...igibility-rules