Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Vikings.
Subscribe to Vikings Journal Email

From MinnCentric

The Store

Article: Time To Cut Jerome Simpson

jerome simpson adam thielen
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bo Mitchell

Bo Mitchell

Starter

• Administrators
  • 659 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

This post was contributed by Vikeologist on his Vikings Journal blog (1st and SKOL) this week. If you would like to try your hand at writing (and getting promoted to the Vikings Journal front page, which is seen by thousands of Vikings fans each day) check out our primer on starting your own blog on Vikings Journal.Jerome Simpson was excused from practice on Monday to appeal a potential 3 game suspension for another DUI arrest last year. This isn't the first time that Simpson has been in trouble with the law, and probably won't be the last time either! I am all for giving players 2nd chances, but what about third and fourths?

Simpson is coming off a season in which he had a career best 726 passing yards, but only has one measley touchdown in 28 games as a Viking. Simpson brings more in terms of off-the-field baggage than he does on-field production.
Adam Thielen, also known as "Mr. Mankato", has been the talk of Training Camp. Thielen played for the Mavericks of Minnesota State University Mankato and was on the Vikings practice squad last year.

Thielen looked impressive at wide receiver and on returns in the first pre-season game against the Raiders. His most noticeable play on Saturday night against the Cardinals came when he dropped a beautifuly placed deep ball from Teddy Bridgewater that was a sure touchdown. For a player on the bubble, that certainly didn't help his case.

Why not give a kid like Adam Thielen a roster spot? He is an overachiever and works hard. He has improved from last year and that tells me he wants to make the team. He isn't doing drugs, he isn't driving drunk, he is working hard to improve and make this team.

Jerome Simpson had his chances, and he has blown them all. It's time to move on and let Simpson become a problem for some other team. 'Mr. Mankato' has earned his spot on this team.

Follow me on Twitter @Vikeologist

Click here to view the article

#2 Danchat

Danchat

Cheerleader

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

The problem with cutting Jerome Simpson is that the Vikings knew there was a good chance that he'd be suspended for 2-4 games, and they still gave him a 1 year deal. I really doubt they're going to cut him because of that. Thielen's spot is nearly guaranteed as the 5th stringer and the only question in my mind is if Rodney Smith will get a roster spot too.

I've been rooting for Jarius Wright to have a big season. I hope they give him more snaps than Simpson.

#3 The Greatest Poster Alive

The Greatest Poster Alive

Ball Boy

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

Simpson is more talented than Thielen & Rodney Smith.  That's really all that needs to be factored in.  

Why not give a kid like Adam Thielen a roster spot? He is an overachiever and works hard. He has improved from last year and that tells me he wants to make the team. He isn't doing drugs, he isn't driving drunk, he is working hard to improve and make this team.

TLDR: He's white.  

Look, I like Thielen.  Plays with passion and that's always fun to see.  But Simpson as a 3rd or 4th receiver creates such huge matchup problems for defenses with his speed and ability to go get the ball in the air (or draw a penalty trying).  Thielen just doesn't do that.  

#4 Joe Oberle

Joe Oberle

Starter

• Administrators
  • 902 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

I agree with TGPA. His skill set is different than anything else they have on the roster, so that gives defenses another look. Since the suspension is reportedly only three games (and Simpson is appealing) they can limp along. Zimmer was with Simpson in Cincinnati, so I wonder if their prior relationship factors in to the decision. I think he stays.

#5 sandbun

sandbun

Cheerleader

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

I don't understand the hurry to cut him. I agree he should eventually be cut. But if he's going to be suspended the first three games anyhow, then those three games he doesn't count as a roster spot. So let him serve his suspension on team. Watch Rodney and Adam play against actual NFL defenses with starting caliber players. If after three weeks they look like they belong, cut him then. If not, well then there's probably going to be some young backup that isn't really ready to contribute much other than special teams but they don't want to expose him to waivers that will be a little dinged up. Stash him on IR (like they did just last year with Zach Line) and there's your spot for Simpson.

#6 Aj Mansour

Aj Mansour

Backup

• Administrators
  • 408 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:19 PM

Jerome offers the Vikings something nobody else can, a speedy outside threat. Patterson will line up wide but does not have pull away speed that Simpson has. Turner doesn't always use this deep threat but it's a benefit to have to keep defenses on edge.

#7 cgreuling

cgreuling

Cheerleader

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

I don't understand the hurry to cut him. I agree he should eventually be cut. But if he's going to be suspended the first three games anyhow, then those three games he doesn't count as a roster spot. So let him serve his suspension on team. Watch Rodney and Adam play against actual NFL defenses with starting caliber players. If after three weeks they look like they belong, cut him then. If not, well then there's probably going to be some young backup that isn't really ready to contribute much other than special teams but they don't want to expose him to waivers that will be a little dinged up. Stash him on IR (like they did just last year with Zach Line) and there's your spot for Simpson.

I'm not 100% sure but I think suspended players count against your roster in the NFL, you can't replace their spot. So we'll be playing with 52 instead of 53 for those games Simpson is out for.

"Football fans share a universal language that cuts across many cultures and many personality types. A serious football fan is never alone. We are legion, and football is often the only thing we have in common."

- Hunter S. Thompson

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

I'm not 100% sure but I think suspended players count against your roster in the NFL, you can't replace their spot. So we'll be playing with 52 instead of 53 for those games Simpson is out for.

No, they actually don't count against your roster until the suspension has ended. In simpson's case if it's a three game suspension, he'd count against the roster starting week 4, at which time the team needs to make a move with cutting him, or activating him and cutting someone else.

#9 LaBombo

LaBombo

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

Skalm_2.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jerome simpson, adam thielen