Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Vikings.
Subscribe to Vikings Journal Email

From MinnCentric

Letting Teddy sit this year good or bad?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 crankfan

crankfan

Rookie

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Twitter: SSN365

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

We recently brought this topic up on Sunday at our annual mens open tournament.  I had said that I was in favor of letting Bridgewater sit for the season unless Cassel struggles mightily.  I believe Saturdays performance pushed me farther towards this conclusion.

I believe it is not worth shaking a guys confidence in hopes of unproven short term success.  Let Teddy learn from Matt.  Bridgewater gave us a glimpse of what can be down the road.  Why possibly ruin that?

I say let Cassel start the entire season and then transition in the off season to Bridgewater.  Let him start the last year at TCF and then hope he is the face of the franchise heading into the new stadium? 

I previously was thinking the complete opposite and Saturdays game made me do a complete 180.

Your thoughts?

JDB

Crankyfan.com/sotasports

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

I agree fully that Bridgewater should sit to start the season.

Does he need to sit the entire season? That I'm not so sure about and it depends on circumstances. There are so many moving parts to think about... How does Cassel play? What if he gets injured and when does it happen?

I think it's best to start with Cassel, guarantee him the starting job for the first few games, and then play it by ear.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#3 Joe Oberle

Joe Oberle

Practice Squad

• Administrators
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

I think that Cassel should and will start the season as the starter. He will do best against a very tough opening month. If the season is lost after the first five games (1-4), then start bringing in Bridgewater. I don't want to see him sit the whole season--and after last weekend, the fan base doesn't either. Bring him in with less pressure and let him get a feel for the game in regular season speed. If the Vikings are 4-1 after the first month, then Cassel is your guy and Teddy waits.

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Practice Squad

• Vikings Mods
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

I'd sit him with the plan on doing it all year long unless Cassel struggles mightily. I would expect him to get as much garbage time as possible, and I'd have no problems promoting him if there's an injury.

#5 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

I see no evidence sitting a year is a good idea for every QB. I have no issue with him sitting until the coaches think he is close to teady, and can learn more by playing, assuming Cassel is not lighting up the world.

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

What if Bridgewater isn't sitting all season because of injury? It actually seems very likely he'll have to make at least 1 or 2 starts, and I'm guessing that'll be due to injury.

#7 Aj Mansour

Aj Mansour

Practice Squad

• Administrators
  • 130 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

Despite the fun that was Teddy's comeback he still looked like a rookie. Happy feet, missing reads and the like were all prevalent. Oh yeah, he was also doing it against the second and third team defensive unit.

I was very encouraged by what we saw from Teddy but I am 100% okay with him taking some mental reps behind Cassel this year.

#8 twgerber

twgerber

Rookie

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:52 AM

If they had wanted to start Teddy week 1 they would have done a lot more with him and the 1's.   They clearly don't intend that.

We know what Cassel is - not very good but good enough to start a few games then let Teddy come to the rescue week 6 or so.

#9 Aj Mansour

Aj Mansour

Practice Squad

• Administrators
  • 130 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

Are we underestimating how good Cassel can actually be? This Norv Turner offense is much closer to the Patriots offense where Cassel thrived years ago than it is the stinky Chiefs offense where he struggled.

Don't underestimate the value in putting particular quarterbacks in the right system.

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

Don't underestimate the value in putting particular quarterbacks in the right system.

51981095.jpg.CROP.article250-medium.jpg

• Aj Mansour likes this

#11 JZHoodie

JZHoodie

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

I think Teddy should sit for the season until Cassel is out for the season in game 1 with an injury then Teddy should start.

#12 crankfan

crankfan

Rookie

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Twitter: SSN365

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

Matt is going to be solid this season.  Not elite but a solid qb.  

Look at Mark Sanchez tonight.  He looks like a completely different QB than his years with the Jets.  Chip Kelley has taken the pressure off of him.  He was case in point of a what can happen to a QB who's confidence gets shaken.  Unless Matt struggles or gets hurt I am OK with letting Bridgewater sit.  

JDB

Crankyfan.com/sotasports

#13 jessemortensen

jessemortensen

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

The best way for Teddy to learn is on the field. If he gets destroyed early on and cannot overcome his downfalls then he isn't the quarterback of the future. What can Cassel do that Bridgewater can't?