Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Vikings.
Subscribe to Vikings Journal Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

The Store

Familiar names potentially cut...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aj Mansour

Aj Mansour

53 Man Roster

• Administrators
  • 339 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

Who are some of the more well know names that might get cut from this years 53-man roster??

I'll start by highlighting a few that are dropping in value (not necessarily going to be cut)...

- LB Mike Mauti
- WR Jarius Wright
- FB Jerome Felton
- OL Jeff Baca
- WR Jerome Simpson (pending suspension)

What do you think about this list? Was there anybody I missed?

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Practice Squad

• Vikings Mods
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

I think Felton would be a bad choice personally. He blocks quite well for AP, and while Turner doesn't use his FB that much, it doesn't mean he cannot be used.

#3 crankfan

crankfan

Rookie

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Twitter: SSN365

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

I can definitely see Felton and can understand the reasoning.  The name I think that could be of surprise will be Jarius Wright.  Had high hopes for him but he seems to have fallen out of favor with this coaching staff.  

I would not be surprised if we were to see a player like Shaun Prater make this team and Josh Robinson be cut.  It is obvious Zimmers patience is wearing thin.  

JDB

Crankyfan.com/sotasports

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

53 Man Roster

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

AP gets more yards on runs without Felton in the game, I believe. I am not a Felton guy. I can't see Wright being cut, he is productive when used. I think Mauti could go.....I think Josh Robinson is in trouble, but will not be cut. I think Baca could be in trouble.

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

- LB Mike Mauti
- WR Jarius Wright
- FB Jerome Felton
- OL Jeff Baca
- WR Jerome Simpson (pending suspension)

From this list two names really jump out Mauti and Wright. Especially Wright! AJ, seeing as you have more access to inside info than we do, is there something going on with Wright that the new staff really isn't a fan of? I've always really liked his potential.

#6 Aj Mansour

Aj Mansour

53 Man Roster

• Administrators
  • 339 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

Nothing too particular. Just seems strange to me that we've seen Jarius playing in the fourth quarter twice already this preseason. If there is a log jam at the slot position with Jennings, Wright and Thielen, Jarius might be the guy most expendable.

#7 DocBauer

DocBauer

Rookie

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

Really surprised with Baca. He didn't really impress me last season when I watched him, but I saw some good things, thought he had potential, and might actually develop enough this year to possibly make Berger expendable. And I like Berger.

I still like Wright a lot and think it would be a big mistake to cut him loose, if he is in danger.

Simpson's act is getting old. He can get deep, and makes a play once in a while. He also draws a lot of pass interference penalties, which are almost as good. But one game/play he'll make the big catch, then drop the easy ones while wide open. I know he's very talented, not that old yet, still has potential he hasn't reached yet, but the inconsistencies and trouble situations grow tiresome. Honestly, I think he's lucky to only be facing a 3 game suspension.

Hard not to like Mauti. He's a tough, intelligent gamer. I think it comes down to him and Dean for the final spot. Dean has done a nice job on ST, but isn't much of a LB. Always seems to be over running plays to me. I think Mauti offers the most upside.

Felton, man, I don't know. I'd almost rather keep a 4th TE. But the guy can flat out block, and while not utilized much as a receiver previously, his hands seem solid.

Robinson scares me. Maybe he'll never live up to his talent/potential. But if cut loose, he's one of those guys that could come back to haunt you.

#8 twgerber

twgerber

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:51 AM

Wright would be a shock.  I always have wondered how he doesn't get more time and why he hasn't beat out Simpson.   Would love to know why there are issues.

#9 Aj Mansour

Aj Mansour

53 Man Roster

• Administrators
  • 339 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

Wright previously held value as a punt/kick returner as well. If they are falling for Adam Thielen as hard as it seems they are, he could supplant Jarius for that role putting Wright's status up in the air.