Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Vikings.
Subscribe to Vikings Journal Email

The Store

Mick Tingelhoff Hall of Fame finalist

mick tingelhoff
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bo Mitchell

Bo Mitchell

First String

• Administrators
  • 523 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

FINALLY!

The Pro Football Hall of Fame Senior Committee has named former Vikings center Mick Tingelhoff their lone nominee for the HOF in 2015. He should get in. Very deserving.

Voting will take place the Saturday before the Super Bowl in February.

I'll have more details on Tingelhoff's candidacy in an upcoming article here at Vikings Journal.

But for now... congrats, Mick!

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

53 Man Roster

• Administrators
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Football hall of fame is so interesting...

They just let in a certain number every year, whether 2 or 10 guys deserve to get in. There's not really any criteria for it like there is in baseball. I mean, what makes a Center a Hall of Famer, or a right guard, or other positions. I think it's so subjective. 

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

They just let in a certain number every year, whether 2 or 10 guys deserve to get in. There's not really any criteria for it like there is in baseball. I mean, what makes a Center a Hall of Famer, or a right guard, or other positions. I think it's so subjective.

I'd think number of pro-bowls, all-pro teams, longevity, maybe specifically for the o-line how their running backs faired, sacks allowed. You're right though, it seems hard to know what the quantitative criteria are.

Congrats to Mick though! If I'm not mistaken Jim Marshall isn't in the hall, hopefully he's the next Viking senior candidate.

#4 Bo Mitchell

Bo Mitchell

First String

• Administrators
  • 523 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

It's definitely hard to quantify offensive linemen since they don't really compile ordinary stats that anyone tracks, but Mick was a Hall of Famer by the eye test, the endurance test, the number of honors (Pro Bowl, All Pro) he received and according to those who played with and against him.

#5 Bo Mitchell

Bo Mitchell

First String

• Administrators
  • 523 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

I'd think number of pro-bowls, all-pro teams, longevity, maybe specifically for the o-line how their running backs faired, sacks allowed. You're right though, it seems hard to know what the quantitative criteria are.

Congrats to Mick though! If I'm not mistaken Jim Marshall isn't in the hall, hopefully he's the next Viking senior candidate.

Correct, Marshall is not in the Hall of Fame. I hate to be a naysayer, but I'm not sure that he should be. On the other hand Bud Grant often says Marshall was his best or most important player or something like that. But he doesn't have quite the resume that Tingelhoff has when compared to his contemporaries and others at their respective positions.

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

Correct, Marshall is not in the Hall of Fame. I hate to be a naysayer, but I'm not sure that he should be. On the other hand Bud Grant often says Marshall was his best or most important player or something like that. But he doesn't have quite the resume that Tingelhoff has when compared to his contemporaries and others at their respective positions.

It's a tough case.

Here are the negatives. You can't compare sack numbers because they didn't keep that stat back then. I tried looking up career tackle numbers but can't find those either (not sure, did they not keep them as well?) He did only make two pro-bowls.

On the plus side for his hall of fame candidacy. He was the NFL's all time iron man until some QB beat him out. Plus he was a heart n soul/glue kind of guy for a team that made 4 SuperBowl appearances.

#7 DocBauer

DocBauer

Rookie

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:25 PM

Tingelhoff's nomination is a joke.

It's a joke because he shouldn't have waited this long, waiting for the veteran's committee to do what should have been done years ago on pure merit. Go read his career list of accomplishments again and tell me how many HOF lineman can even match his career, much less exceed it.