Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Vikings.
Subscribe to Vikings Journal Email

The Store

Vegas: Vikings are 2-point underdogs vs Rams

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Practice Squad

• Administrators
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

If the Vikings want to put an immediate end to this "0-5 start" speculation, they're going to need to do so as an underdog against the Rams. Yep, even with Sam Bradford out, the Rams are favored at home against the Vikings in Game 1 from anywhere from 1 to 2.5 points

Are you betting the farm? Or are we afraid that they're right and the Vikings are on their way to a brutal start to the season under Coach Zimmer and Matt Cassell? 

#2 Aj Mansour

Aj Mansour

53 Man Roster

• Administrators
  • 408 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

I'm running to the bank as we speak. I don't think I'm delusional but this seems like a joke? How are the Rams going to score points?!?

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Practice Squad

• Vikings Mods
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

I'm running to the bank as we speak. I don't think I'm delusional but this seems like a joke? How are the Rams going to score points?!?

A few pick 6s...  That offense will be bad. 

#4 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Practice Squad

• Administrators
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

Here's what worries me - I trust gamblers to be pretty objective with these things. We're probably aided by the fact that the line started a while back (early in the offseason?) at something like -5, so maybe it will only move up so far from that. But yikes, it's sobering to see that now this team is going to be underdogs for at least their first five games, most likely. 

#5 Joe Oberle

Joe Oberle

First String

• Administrators
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Don't they say that home field advantage is usually worth three points to the home team? Which means on a neutral site the Vikings would be favored by one. Some positively thinking, anyway.

To be perfectly honest, the Vikings may be flying under the radar. They have put up some points and really haven't scratched the surface yet on the offense. They haven't even put future Cowboy Adrian Peterson on the field yet. He will give the Rams defense something to think about while Cassel is throwing to CP, Rudy and Jennings. The defense can be ordinary in this one. Vikings by a touchdown. Win this one, and then the odds start to improve for them. I don't think the Vikings will be home dogs against Atlanta.

#6 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Practice Squad

• Vikings Mods
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

A lot of odds making is based on how people are betting too.  Keep that in mind.  I'd say it's probably a safer bet if you are in to that sort of thing.  First few games of the year are probably the most difficult to handicap in my opinion.

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

CBS has the opening line at -6 and the current line at... -6.

Didn't the Rams, uh, lose a quarterback?

#8 spanman2

spanman2

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

Very interesting line.....and many ?'s one could ask within that line in regards to both squads.  I would take our squad by 3-6 points and obviously covering the spread.  AP might blow the roof off the joint as it is his 1st action against guys not wearing purple helmets this year.  An excellent test for the O line with a strength of their squad being their D line. I look for a 60-65% completion/no INT  day for Cassel and a big game from Patterson and or Rudolph.  Hopefully the D continues to show signs of progression that it has in the pre-season and we return home 1-0 feeling good and preparing to upset New England!!!!!  GO VIKES   

#9 spanman2

spanman2

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

If the Vikings want to put an immediate end to this "0-5 start" speculation, they're going to need to do so as an underdog against the Rams. Yep, even with Sam Bradford out, the Rams are favored at home against the Vikings in Game 1 from anywhere from 1 to 2.5 points

Are you betting the farm? Or are we afraid that they're right and the Vikings are on their way to a brutal start to the season under Coach Zimmer and Matt Cassell? 

Very interesting line.....and many ?'s one could ask within that line in regards to both squads.  I would take our squad by 3-6 points and obviously covering the spread.  AP might blow the roof off the joint as it is his 1st action against guys not wearing purple helmets this year.  An excellent test for the O line with a strength of their squad being their D line. I look for a 60-65% completion/no INT  day for Cassel and a big game from Patterson and or Rudolph.  Hopefully the D continues to show signs of progression that it has in the pre-season and we return home 1-0 feeling good and preparing to upset New England!!!!!  GO VIKES

#10 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

53 Man Roster

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

I'd expect a line closer to -1 or so....not -3. But man, talk about gamblers not liking your team, against Shaun Hill.....

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you.

#11 Bo Mitchell

Bo Mitchell

First String

• Administrators
  • 659 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

The Rams were pretty tough at home last year, going 5-3, with two of those losses to the 49ers and Seahawks. They even beat the Saints down the stretch at home by 11 points.

Regardless, I would think the betting public would see this line and the "no starting quarterback" factor will kick in and swing things a bit.

Or maybe everyone just assumes the Vikings are going to be really bad again this year -- which certainly doesn't appear to be the case.

#12 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

I got the vikes at +6.5 three weeks ago and bet it, then got them at +4 and +180 to win yesterday and doubled down.

I think they win, or lose a very close game.

#13 amjgt

amjgt

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

I parlayed Vikes +170 with Under 44.

Pays a little better than 4-1

Where I'm looking, the line has been stuck at Vikes +4 since they put it back on the board once the Bradford injury fleshed itself out.

#14 Jeff

Jeff

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Vegas doesn't know it's stuff, 16-0 baby!!! Ok, ok maybe I've been hitting the purple kool-aid a bit hard...
  • mike wants wins likes this