Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Vikings.
Subscribe to Vikings Journal Email

Article: What Can the Minnesota Vikings Expect from Adrian Peterson?

minnesota vikings adrian peterson
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Arcand

Tim Arcand

Cheerleader

• VJ Team Writers
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:03 AM

A lot of people are excited following the announcement that Adrian Peterson will be suiting up for the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday when they face the Indianapolis Colts at US Bank Stadium. With only three games left, and their playoff fate ultimately in other’s hands, the Purple are in a no-lose situation.

The biggest question is whether Peterson helps or hinders the offense that has averaged 334 yards over the past three games—the highest three-games average the entire season for the Purple.As goes the Vikings offense, so goes quarterback Sam Bradford. He’s averaged 254 yards per game, completing 75 percent of his passes. Last week at Jacksonville he completed passes of greater than 40 yards three times, to three different receivers.

Of course, the Vikings have struggled this season when needing to gain a yard—something Peterson might be able to help with.

After missing 11 games having not played since Week 2 against the Packers, this will be just like another season-opening game for Peterson. With only 31 yards on 19 attempts in Week 1 against the Titans, that’s not a great performance to hang a lot of hope on for Peterson to put the Vikings on his shoulders and lead them into the playoffs.

The Vikings have treated Peterson like a breakable china doll since he tore both his ACL and MCL in Week 16 of the 2011 season. Since then, the only action Peterson has seen in the preseason has been as a decoy for a couple of plays.

Since joining the Vikings in 2007 and winning three rushing titles, including his historic 2012 season with 2,097 yards, Peterson has averaged a very healthy 4.9 yards per carry. His best season average came in 2012 when he averaged 6.0 yards. In 2015 he averaged just slightly below his career mark finishing with 4.5 yards per carry while leading the NFL in rushing with 1,485 yards.

Does mixing it up in actual football activities, like preseason games, make any difference?

Here’s a look how Peterson has fared in his first game of the season over his career. Naturally, Father Time plays a role in any decline seen.

2007 – 2011
In five season-opening games, Peterson averaged 114.2 yards per game on 19.6 carries—a 5.82 average. He scored a total of four touchdowns in these games.

2012 – 2016
In the five season openers after suffering his major knee injury and not playing in the preseason, Peterson’s production dropped to 62.8 yards per game on 17.0 carries—an average of 3.69 yards per carry. Again, he scored four touchdowns in these five games. Opening the last two seasons he’s only managed 31 rushing yards per game with no touchdowns.

In two games this season Peterson only has 50 yards on 31 carries—a horrendous 1.61 average per carry.

Based on his past performance following a lengthy layoff, and coming off yet another knee injury, Vikings fans shouldn’t expect a whole lot from Peterson. Of course, just like the disclaimer that comes with all securities, past performance does not guarantee future returns.

Let’s hope not.

Follow me on Twitter @TArcand

Click here to view the article
  • Reignman likes this

#2 Nemesis of Norm

Nemesis of Norm

Team Captain

• Members
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:57 AM

We can expect Peterson to think his importance may be diminishing in a Bradford offense while he retains the fully inflated cockiness and opinion of his own abilities that he's always had. This will cause him to come out guns blazing, either straight into the backs of his lineman or straight into the endzone or straight back into the tunnel grimacing on a cart.

No way to know until we see, though some outcomes are more likely and/or desirable than others.

• Reignman, Aussie61 and Tim Arcand like this

#3 Minniman

Minniman

Winter is Coming

• Members
  • 3,337 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:45 AM

What to expect? With this line?

I don't know ... a fumble?

#4 DaveW

DaveW

WALSH IS A LOSER

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

You can expect about a half dozen bad fumbles and you can expect another half dozen kids fathered by the end of the year (he will beat them all because he is a terrible human)
  • Reignman likes this

#5 Nemesis of Norm

Nemesis of Norm

Team Captain

• Members
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:55 AM

You can expect about a half dozen bad fumbles and you can expect another half dozen kids fathered by the end of the year (he will beat them all because he is a terrible human)

Something tells me you're not a priest. :laughing:

#6 Nemesis of Norm

Nemesis of Norm

Team Captain

• Members
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:56 AM

What to expect? With this line?

I don't know ... a fumble?

:laughing:  For once I'm not the worst pessimist. Thank you.

• Minniman and Tim Arcand like this

#7 DaveW

DaveW

WALSH IS A LOSER

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:03 PM

Something tells me you're not a priest. :laughing:
No, I'm not an abuser of children.

Sorry you set that one up.
  • DaveW likes this

#8 Aussie61

Aussie61

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:04 PM

My expectations are zero.If you expect nothing then you can't be disappointed.

Anything achieved that is higher than nothing is a bonus ;)

• Tim Arcand likes this

#9 Reignman

Reignman

Purple Pain Little Dog

• Members
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:42 AM

What can we expect? Hmmm lets look at what we know. When he was healthy and playing behind our best OL, he managed 1.6 YPC. Fresh off an injury, hasn't played in awhile, and our OL in the worst shape ever ... how does 0.9 YPC sound?

And a fumble or 2, yes definitely a fumble or 2, like others have said. The one thing positive we can say about McTackleForLoss and AyardShortiata, is I don't think either of them have fumbled all year. Peterson is probably going to try to do too much to break the 1 YPC plateau, so yeah I can see him getting stripped.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#10 Reignman

Reignman

Purple Pain Little Dog

• Members
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:43 AM

My expectations are zero.If you expect nothing then you can't be disappointed.
Anything achieved that is higher than nothing is a bonus ;)

Spoken like a long time Vikings fan who has been paying attention.  :applause:

• Funkytown, Aussie61 and Tim Arcand like this

#11 Reignman

Reignman

Purple Pain Little Dog

• Members
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:56 AM

5694516c931d0_petersonactionfigure.jpg.a
  • TheLeviathan, Funkytown, Aussie61 and 4 others like this

#12 Minniman

Minniman

Winter is Coming

• Members
  • 3,337 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

That action figure is too cool. Too bad it cost the Vikings a chance at a Superbowl.

Adrian Peterson will likely go into the Hall of Fame like Thurman Thomas - both fumbling away the big games.

• Reignman likes this

#13 DaveW

DaveW

WALSH IS A LOSER

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:50 PM

Lololololilolololol

Hopefully this is the last we ever see this child beater in this uniform.

Can't wait til he goes to Gb so we can end his career.

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

Should have been traded three years ago.... Like many of us wanted.
  • DaveW, TheLeviathan, Minniman and 1 other like this

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you.

#15 DaveW

DaveW

WALSH IS A LOSER

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:51 PM

Should have been traded three years ago.... Like many of us wanted.

Yupppp!!!!! Or even prior to this season like many of us said!

#16 Minniman

Minniman

Winter is Coming

• Members
  • 3,337 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:17 PM

Ten yards and a fumble was pretty close.

• TheLeviathan and Nemesis of Norm like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota vikings, adrian peterson