Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Vikings.
Subscribe to Vikings Journal Email

It's Closing Time - Vikings Journal Is Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Funkytown

Funkytown

Purple Pain Big Dog

• Administrators
  • 13,614 posts
  • LocationNortheast, Iowa

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:21 PM

Hey guys, 

The title pretty much says it all, but the MinnCentric team has decided to shut down Vikings Journal. I think they are going to keep it up and running until after the Super Bowl, but most of us will be moving on much sooner than that. As my Purple Pain members remember from two years ago, we talked about it for a bit and then we all came over here. That's the plan again this time; let's move and not waste much more time over here.

Obviously things didn't work out - and I'm sorry about that - and we are going back home. I'm sure some are happy, but I can admit that I am pretty bummed. I really do believe in this site, and I think it has a ton of potential. I won't bore you with the details as far as why it didn't work out (besides, I think an article will be written soon to explain more), but I will say that it sucks ... but I hope we can build on what we have here over at Purple Pain.

For my original Purple Pain members, welcome home! And for all of you that we met over here, I certainly hope that you come with us. I promise to work to build our community over there just as I did here. Only, over there won't be about traffic, page views, or revenue ... it'll be about you guys. Us. The community. The community has always been my number one priority, and it always will be. So I hope that you guys from Twins Daily bookmark Purple Pain and come over with us. I also hope the other people that found us via Twitter or someplace else follow us over, as well. I really felt like we were starting to turn the corner here ... and that is something that I want to BUILD ON ... and not lose, so if you appreciate this little Vikings community that we have, I encourage you to come over with us and help us continue to grow.

I know my Purple Pain community will go back home, but what about the rest of you guys? Van, Levi, Aussie, Oj, Dave, Mike, Jack, etc. etc. etc. ...? You coming over? I hope so. 

I'll do my best to answer any questions that anyone has ... and if any of you want to talk to me privately about this, feel free to shoot me a PM. In the next few weeks, I'm going to work on getting Purple Pain back up and running and hopefully help our writers land on their feet. I'll be a little busy, but I'll find time to reply to this thread as well as answer any PMs. 

This sucks. I know that. No one is more disappointed than I am, but I think we'll be okay... I really appreciate what we have here, and I consider you guys my little Vikings family. Well, basically...

7167ae6552bb62f8017274f5aee22b3ccbdc39ca

:govikes: :govikes: :govikes:

• nicksaviking, Reignman, Aussie61 and 1 other like this

30m4wna.png

#2 Funkytown

Funkytown

Purple Pain Big Dog

• Administrators
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

Also, I understand this is the WORST possible timing with this gross season, the offseason coming, no first round pick, etc. ... but it is what it is. We'll make it. 

And before anyone asks, we'll transfer post counts over there when you sign up. It'll take a little time, but we'll get there. Since we wanted to make Vikings Journal more like Purple Pain ... we shouldn't have a ton of things to do, but there is definitely some work to be done ... lots of little things (post counts, transfer smileys, get some threads going, etc.)

• Aussie61 likes this

30m4wna.png

#3 Aussie61

Aussie61

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:43 PM

Bummer,I only just signed up this season and I like it here,but Cest La Vie.

I'll come over to Purple Pain and annoy you!  :D

• Jerr, Funkytown and Reignman like this

#4 OJ_notTheJuice

OJ_notTheJuice

Bench Warmer

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:19 PM

It says registration on the purple pain board is disabled

#5 Funkytown

Funkytown

Purple Pain Big Dog

• Administrators
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:23 PM

Well dang it! Let me fix that quick.

30m4wna.png

#6 Funkytown

Funkytown

Purple Pain Big Dog

• Administrators
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:24 PM

Bummer,I only just signed up this season and I like it here,but Cest La Vie.
I'll come over to Purple Pain and annoy you! :D

Good. That's exactly what I wanted. :)
  • Aussie61 likes this

30m4wna.png

#7 Funkytown

Funkytown

Purple Pain Big Dog

• Administrators
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:29 PM

Well dang it! Let me fix that quick.

Try again when you have a chance.

30m4wna.png

#8 Nemesis of Norm

Nemesis of Norm

Team Captain

• Members
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:34 PM

You disabled registration? That site has had like 20 visitors a day for 2 years. No wonder nobody signed up in all that time, lol!

• Aussie61 likes this

#9 Funkytown

Funkytown

Purple Pain Big Dog

• Administrators
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:39 PM

You disabled registration? That site has had like 20 visitors a day for 2 years. No wonder nobody signed up in all that time, lol!

Probably Reignman. :D

30m4wna.png

#10 DaveW

DaveW

WALSH IS A LOSER

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:27 AM

Damn, that sucks, not shocking though. The Twins Daily owners didn't invest any time or effort to help grow this site, you did a fantastic job with what you had to work with Funky, it's a shame because this place had a ton of potential if a couple dollars were freed up for it in the short term.

I look forward to posting my rants over at Purple Pain!
  • Mike Sixel, TheLeviathan, pbrezeasap and 6 others like this

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:53 AM

Alas, that sucks.

clearly the site never took off, as didn't the soccer site. 

Have fun everyone. I really enjoyed some of you...

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you.

#12 Nemesis of Norm

Nemesis of Norm

Team Captain

• Members
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:03 AM

Alas, that sucks.

clearly the site never took off, as didn't the soccer site. 

Have fun everyone. I really enjoyed some of you...

Wull. it doesn't have to be past tense. You can still enjoy (some of) us at PP

• Funkytown, Reignman, Aussie61 and 1 other like this

#13 King James

King James

Starter

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:12 AM

I liked the Purple Pain site better anyways but I know how much work you put into trying to make this site what is was. But you should be proud nevertheless, you got many members, old and new to participate in this forum. Hopefully we can stay in Purple Pain for good. I rather not go back to VikingsMessageBoard.com where all the over-sensitive, think they know it all Vikings fans, galore. 

If there's anything I can do to help PP stay active I'm willing to help. The bigger things other than just promos and posting in the forums of course. lol

• Mike Sixel, TheLeviathan, diehardtwinsfan and 6 others like this

photo10.jpg

#14 Funkytown

Funkytown

Purple Pain Big Dog

• Administrators
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:19 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

As I'm getting over being sad about this, I'm getting excited again about Purple Pain. The site works better and has a ton of features. Now that I know more about what goes into growing a site ... I think we'll be okay. It also helps that so many of you are willing to help out. Thanks!
  • Jerr and Aussie61 like this

30m4wna.png

#15 beckmt

beckmt

Water Boy

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:22 AM

Will miss this site and hope you get Purple Pain running with enough posters to make it interesting.

Have already started one thread over there and will see where it goes.

• Mike Sixel, Funkytown and Aussie61 like this

#16 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for everything here, it was an interesting place to visit from time to time!

• Mike Sixel, Funkytown, Reignman and 1 other like this

#17 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Ball Boy

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:25 PM

I liked it here and posted when I had time. Being a baseball #1 guy and swearing off the Vikings after Favre across the body it was fun to get in depth Vikings stuff again. One suggestion - make it more friendly for newbies to fit in. Sometimes it feels like an unwelcoming small town bar in here to newbies and I could see that vibe keeping your participation numbers low. Good work overall and thank you!
  • Mike Sixel, Reignman, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this

#18 Funkytown

Funkytown

Purple Pain Big Dog

• Administrators
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

I liked it here and posted when I had time. Being a baseball #1 guy and swearing off the Vikings after Favre across the body it was fun to get in depth Vikings stuff again. One suggestion - make it more friendly for newbies to fit in. Sometimes it feels like an unwelcoming small town bar in here to newbies and I could see that vibe keeping your participation numbers low. Good work overall and thank you!

Sorry you felt that way. We love newbies! That's why we encourage people to introduce themselves so we all get to know each other.

But I think a lot of people feel that way when they join a new community. I've heard the same thing about TD, as well as a few other Vikings communities. It's just one of those things...

But thanks! It's something I'll definitely take note of and try to improve. :)
  • Aussie61 and theBOMisthebomb like this

30m4wna.png

#19 pbrezeasap

pbrezeasap

Ball Boy

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

Well this news sucks. I would definitely move over to the Purple Pain site, but just tried and it is blocked by my works internet security filter. I will probably register there eventually and check it out on the rare occasion that I get on my home computer.

• Reignman likes this

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Vikings 2016 season survivor

• Vikings Mods
  • 968 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:31 PM

So Purple Pain is getting back together and Joe from PurplePTSD is trying to expand his site... Why don't we come up with a way to merge the ideas? Since this is a small community anyway.
  • Aussie61 and Doomtints like this